Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Balanced Diet

There seems to be perpetual dispute concerning exactly what constitutes a "balanced" diet.
When I was a kid, they taught me the 4 basic food groups. I don't even think those groups exist anymore.

Today, however it finally started to dawn on me that I usually eat a balanced diet without even being aware of it. It has to do with what I end up craving at any given time of the day.

Allow me to illustrate.

Sometimes, when it is time for me to eat lunch, I don't really feel like eating a greasy burger and fries (although, sometimes I do). Today, for example I stopped at Wendy's to eat a salad and a baked potato with a glass of water. This seemed like a pretty sensible, relatively healthy meal.
So, when it came time for me to eat supper tonight, there was an overwhelming urge to "balance" my diet. I did the only thing I could do.
I ate a triple bologna sandwich on soft white bread followed by two bowls of Trix cereal.

I am one with the universe.


1 comment:

Cat said...

You left out the chocolate food group.