Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Don't Knock Opportunity


A couple of days ago, one of our truck drivers gave his two weeks notice. We posted an ad on craigslist for a driver.
Within 2 days, I had 58 resumes.
I have heard of other businesses posting ads and receiving 400 resumes - and that was for part-time work.
There is a challenge involved in trying to make a good hire. Some people that are well qualified, don't seem to have the personality or character that make me feel confident about being able to work with them. For the kind of truck driver we need, there will be times of frustration and aggravation in dealing with the Ports in California. I need someone who will work with me, not against me during those times.
Then, there are other candidates who may not be as highly qualified or experienced, but have an attitude of positive cooperation and elements of personal character that are desirable.
In discussing this with my brother, the owner of the company, his opinion is, "Hire attitude over aptitude". You can train people in skills, but as an employer, you won't change their character or attitude.
The other challenging element is the difficulty of assessing the merits of an individual sitting in your office for a few minutes who, as an employee will be doing their job day after day out of sight, hundreds of miles away. And even if they start out well...how will they perform after a few months?
My Mother has a saying about this.
"A new broom sweeps clean"
Well, we need that broom.

No comments: