Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Tools Of The Trade


Tools are nothing more than pieces of metal, wood or other components assembled into a practical instrument that is meant to be only a means to an end.

Carpentry and woodworking tools span a wide variety from hammers and chisels to power saws and nail guns.

In the many years I have spent in woodworking, I have acquired an abundance of tools. In the more recent years, I have been able to cling to a set of proper tools, that through those years of experience, I have come to regard as the best for doing things right. Along the way, the cheap, poorly made, imprecise and trendy have given way to the strong, reliable, durable and dependable tools that belong in my tool belt and in my pickup truck.

Some people are tool freaks. They obsess about every detail of every tool they own, or want to own. It is usually enough for them to own the tools. They never really need to use them. There are others who make their living with their tools. Owning tools is not a hobby for them; they know the value of accomplishing the task at hand - whether it be building a house or doing a brake job. The tools will get them there.

People who spend their lives working with their hands develop an affinity to their tools. There is an unspoken respect among craftsman and mechanics regarding the sanctity of their tools. You NEVER borrow someone’s tools without asking, and usually you shouldn’t even ask. You just don’t use another person’s tools unless they offer.

While working construction, I once returned to the job after lunch to discover that the homeowner had removed my wood chisel from my tool belt and used it to chip off some excess concrete from the foundation walls. I was so shocked I was speechless. The guys working with me at the time credited me with exceptional restraint.

One of the workhorse tools for any carpenter is a circular saw. I’ve owned a number of them. After years of experience with a variety of makes and models, I finally invested in a saw that has served me well. It has all the features I require and none of the gimmicks I don’t. I have become accustomed to the feel and balance of it in my hand. I know exactly where the blade will track and how to set the angle. It has been with me on rooftops cutting jack rafters and in the shop cutting cabinet panels.

Tonight, I went to put my saw in the truck for a job in the morning. It was gone. Someone stole it. There was a break in at our office a few weeks ago and I didn’t remember at the time that my saw was there. So tonight, when I went to retrieve it, there was the sinking feeling of discovering that it had been stolen.

Of at least one thing I can be sure – the thief will never appreciate or understand how hard I worked for that saw… or how hard it worked for me.

2 comments:

AnnaleeBrooke said...

I may not fully understand your loss, however your impeccable writing skills have left me feeling 100% sympathetic to your loss.

Dyl said...

update, update, UPDATE!!!