Monday, September 24, 2007

Recycle America


I have to admit, I'm not really much of a recycler. When it comes to pop cans and milk cartons - I generally just throw them away. That is not to say, however, that I don't do my part.

I built an entire porch this week without purchasing any materials. All of the framing lumber, decking and railing components were salvaged.

A year or two ago, I built a deck and wheelchair ramp for Tom and Mary Jane Birdsall. In March, they moved out of that house into this duplex condo. Their old house is scheduled to be demolished to make room for a new subdivision. So, we went over there the other day and took all of it apart. I sorted through the material and figured out how to take all of that stuff and reconfigure it into a front porch for their new place. Even though it was challenging to find a way to make everything work, it was kind of satisfying to see it accomplished.

I may have thrown away my milk carton tonight, but I also recycled a whole porch.

No comments: