Saturday, August 9, 2008

Motorcycle Math


Today, I decided to put new grips on my motorcycle. My plan is to travel to Colorado later this week, so I am trying to get things ready.
As I came out into the parking lot to get on my bike, I saw this guy sitting on the pavement with a bunch of tools spread out on the ground repairing the shifter linkage on his motorcycle. His cycle was very heavily loaded down with all kinds of gear and he had Minnesota plates.While I was standing there talking to him, a couple of guys from the dealership came out and offered to help him push his machine up by the building where he could be in the shade.
Did I mention it was 106 degrees?
His reply was, "Dat's OK. I'm fine. I gotta get used to it, anyway." They tried several times to convince him.
Did I mention it was 106 degrees?
Finally, they gave up and I heard one of them say to the other as they were walking back, "Those guys from Minnesota are tough."
I was thinking, "Yep. I coulda told ya dat."
Back to my story.
I decided to try doing the installation of the new grips myself, so that I could save $40. A couple of hours later, I was pretty pleased with myself at having succeeded.
So, I saved $40.
I did, however, buy a belt buckle for $30. and the tools needed for the installation cost me $16. So, that makes $46.
The way I figure it, the grips I removed, I can sell on Ebay. All I have to do is get $6, and I break even...or is it $46. to break even? I don't know... I'm not sure.
Anyway, if you're interested, the grips pictured are the ones for sale. look for them on Ebay.

No comments: